Monmouthshire RA Chairmans Award
The Bob Smith Chairman’s Award.
I was asked about our Chairman’s Award named after Bob Smith. It can be awarded to any member of our Association (Monmouthshire), active or non active during the season for any of the following:
Work for our Association, Refereeing during the season, anything the Chairman feels the member has done to enhance our Association.
The Chairman solely makes the decision.
Bob started refereeing in the Newport & District League in 1945, after Playing Welsh League Football for Tredomen Works.
- 1947 Welsh League Linesman.
- 1948 Welsh League Referee.
- 1949 Football Combination Supplementary List.
- 1950 Football League Linesman.
- 1952 Football League Supplementary List.
- 1952 – 1964: Bob was a Football League Referee, when he reached the age limit.
- 1958/59: President of the Association of Football League Referees and Linesman. He was the first Welshman to hold this high office.
- 1968: Football League Assessor. From when the scheme started in 1968. (Assessor for 20 years)
- 1969: Received the Meritorious Service Award from the National Referees Association.
- 1972: Received the Notorious Service Award from the Association of Football League Referees and Linesman.
- 1984: National Referees Association Conference honoured Bob with the Highest honour the Referees Association can give a member the Life Membership.
Bob always found the time to attend out Association Meetings. During 45 years Bob was a member, he held the following positions – President, Chairman, Vice Chairman, Honorary Secretary, and EC Member for Gwent.